Sunday, October 11, 2009

Schooldays revisited

A few months ago I joined Facebook more for the sake of learning about online social networking media than anything else.

Anyway, now a bunch of people from my high school have found me. Not just those I was friends with but some I hardly had anything to do with.

It's good to reconnect with friends but why are those who were not my friends (and simply just in the same year) now wanting to be my friend on Facebook? Does it say something about some hang up of mine that I don't want to have anything to do with them or is it more a reflection on them that they are trying to connect with someone they never wanted anything to do with in real life 25 years ago?

Maybe I'm being a little like Elizabeth Bennet and prejudging them. I know I am not the same person I was in my last few years of high school, so maybe they have changed too. What do you think?

3 comments:

Farmers Wifey said...

Yeah I'm like you, I joined facebook and got heaps of requests from people I went to school with. Then there was nothing...so I deleted them from my list!!

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

This is precisely why I am not on facebook any longer. It drove me insane. I would ( being gutless over matters like this- I was unable to out right reject them) so I just stopped going on there. I think people want to have a huge list of friends and just get their numbers up? I don't know... but i had friedns of exboyfriends and stuuf that I hardly knew wanting to be my buddy.
and the old school friends some of them it was great to see but others - well quite frankyl i don't give a shit what you are doing now???

Kate Moore said...

I did have a Facebook-fuelled school reunion moment just last month. I didn't go - busy readying myself for Samoa and there were exam tensions at home - but was quite pleased for the excuse at the time. Afterwards, I wished I'd gone. Everyone said that it was just like you suggested, the people you liked then you did still like, the ones you didn't you just steered clear of.

Things I like

  • Being eco-aware
  • Chocolate
  • Generosity
  • Good food and good wine
  • Kindness and courtesy
  • Laughing out loud
  • Openminded people
  • People who are true to themselves
  • Spending time with friends
  • Sunshine and blue skies

Things I don't like

  • Broken promises
  • Pointless arguments
  • Uncontrolled anger
  • Homelessness
  • Poverty
  • War and conflict
  • Lightning and thunder
  • Small minded people
  • Discrimination on any basis
  • Over inflated egos
  • Mean-spirited people