Monday, August 24, 2009

Depilatory dilemma

I was enjoying the unseasonally warm weather this afternoon while walking to pick XY7 up from school.

The usual tracky dacks were ditched in favour of some 3/4 lengths ones and I was quite impressed with the pace I managed to whip up. Then I felt a strange sensation.

A delicate all-so-slight movement on my lower legs near my ankles. I laughed to myself when I realised it was the hair on my wintry unshaven legs being caught in the breeze.

Embarrasing I know, but admit it - we've all been guilty at one time or another of letting our depilatory routine go during winter. Strangely I let the legs go but not my underarms. And actually commonsense tells me women shouldn't be shaving (or removing hair any other way) from any bits of their body any time.

So, the question now is: do I shave or is there still more days of winter and covered-leg fashion ahead? It's not the sort of decision to rush. I think I'll wait and see what happens weather-wise between now and the weekend.

Maybe I have the wrong approach. Perhaps I'm too complacent after 10 years in coupledom?
Do you have a hirsute season of the year? Please share.

2 comments:

Kate Moore said...

You are so funny, but it is so true. I tried to be better about shaving the stuble this winter. As you know, I have more hair than most women (thank you Greek heritage) and can shave and quite literally watch the hairs push forth on my legs. The last couple of months have been so busy though, I just let it go, but that damn hair, it's not soft, it prickles and I have to get the whipper snipper out and clear it all. I do like the ritual of taking a bucket of hot water out the back and a exfoliating glove and the razor and sitting in the sun to get the job done.

Farmers Wifey said...

I just sent you an award, see my blog for details!!

Things I like

  • Being eco-aware
  • Chocolate
  • Generosity
  • Good food and good wine
  • Kindness and courtesy
  • Laughing out loud
  • Openminded people
  • People who are true to themselves
  • Spending time with friends
  • Sunshine and blue skies

Things I don't like

  • Broken promises
  • Pointless arguments
  • Uncontrolled anger
  • Homelessness
  • Poverty
  • War and conflict
  • Lightning and thunder
  • Small minded people
  • Discrimination on any basis
  • Over inflated egos
  • Mean-spirited people