Friday, April 3, 2009

Magical to digest

What's your favourite children's book. Mine is The Magic Pudding by Norman Lindsay.

It takes me back to my childhood. It was read to us at school and I had a copy of one part (called the fourth slice) at home. I can even remember a school excursion to see a marionette production of the story.

I loved the illustrations - little did I know that author Norman Lindsay was a celebrated Australian artist! I was mezmerised by the idea of a never-ending pudding . . . that no matter how much of the pudding Bunyip Bluegum, Sam Sawnoff, Bill Barnacle and their friends ate of the pudding there would always be more.

Snugglepot and Cuddlepie (the gumnut baby characters) by May Gibbs is another of my favourites. I 've got a boxed set.

Both are just as enjoyable for adults as children. Importantly, both are quintessentially Australian. I think it's important to foster homegrown art and literature - so that as Australians we see our lifestyle and our surroundings reflected in what we read and see. What's the point of reading stories about hedgehogs hibernating for winter to a three-year-old who lives in Australia? I think it's more important to learn about the animals and plants they can see in their homeland first.

Do you have a favourite children's book?

No comments:

Things I like

  • Being eco-aware
  • Chocolate
  • Generosity
  • Good food and good wine
  • Kindness and courtesy
  • Laughing out loud
  • Openminded people
  • People who are true to themselves
  • Spending time with friends
  • Sunshine and blue skies

Things I don't like

  • Broken promises
  • Pointless arguments
  • Uncontrolled anger
  • Homelessness
  • Poverty
  • War and conflict
  • Lightning and thunder
  • Small minded people
  • Discrimination on any basis
  • Over inflated egos
  • Mean-spirited people